Thursday, March 10, 2011

Productivity

After the two steps back yesterday I'm happy to report I took a sprint today and feel ahead of where I was yesterday.

I called the pharmacist and got the DIN# for the injectible MS drugs. I called our insurance companies and found out while SaskTel doesn't cover the drugs, MNP has 80% coverage of the drugs. I called Dr. Rehman and told the nurse my findings and that I wanted the doctor to prescribe the medication. I am presently waiting to hear back from him.
I called the MS Society and found out the MS clinic in Saskatoon has a wonderful RN, Jan Britz and neurologist Dr. Katharine Knox. I have a call into Jan and an appointment with my family doctor tomorrow morning where I will ask him for the referral to the MS clinic for my 2nd opinion.
I have also found this out, which reassures me that I am pushing for the right treatment.

The following disease-modifying medications for MS are available in Canada:

Rebif® (interferon beta-1a)
*Avonex® (interferon beta-1a)
*Betaseron® (interferon beta-1b)
Copaxone® (glatiramer acetate)
Tysabri® (natalizumab)

Avonex is for people who have had a single MS attack (also called a demyelinating event) plus abnormal MRI scan results, Avonex® may help to:

delay the onset of clinically definite MS
decrease the number and volume of active brain lesions and overall disease burden as shown on an MRI scan

Betaseron® is used for people with relapsing-remitting MS. It can reduce the frequency of relapses. It can also be used to delay the onset of clinically definite MS for people who have had a single MS attack (also called a demyelinating event) combined with at least 2 MS lesions on their MRI scans.


Today I'm satisfied with what I've accomplished. I feel good about the knowledge I have gained and the path that is unfolding. I'm satisfied that my symptoms aren't worsening and that I don't have to wish for another attack on my body in order to get the treatment that I deserve.
I'm going to keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment