Monday, March 28, 2011

Fishing

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Chinese Proverb


I was taught how to fish today. I gave myself my first injection of Betaseron. Someone didnt do it for me. The nurse and Bob stepped me through everything from beginning to end.
I feel relieved and even a little empowered because of the fact that I will be injecting medication that is proven to help:
Patients treated with Betaseron (interferon beta-1b) shortly after their first clinical multiple sclerosis event or "attack" showed a 40 percent lower risk of developing confirmed disability progression compared to patients in whom treatment was delayed.

60 days ago I had my first clinically isolated incident or attack. I could not have imagined those first few days that I would be where I am today
I pushed my neurologist, I sought second opinions and further information. I demanded answers. I fought for treatment that our government did not deem me worthy of. I was an advocate for my own health and because of that I believe that I am contributing towards helping lower my risk of developing confirmed disability progression.

It has been 2 hours since my injection, there was a little sting and at this point I am still feeling ok.
I have my iPod app that records my injection sites and reminds me of the dates. I have a light green color coded on our google calendar set specifically for my injections.
I am feeling strong and hopeful. I want this feeling to last a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment