Friday, April 15, 2011

TGIF

It's surreal how normal and ordinary my life seems sometimes.
I'm wondering if my life is going to be forever changed as what I used to consider normal is gone, never to return?

An example of this change is my needles. If I was told a few months ago that I would be injecting myself with medication every other day for the rest of my life hopefully, I would have laughed in your face. Years ago I actually fainted while getting blood taken. Now, just two nights ago it took me maybe 5 minutes tops to mix and prep and inject my needle. I'm willing to accept this as normal as it will help me fight this disease and slow my progression.
Another change that has become my normal is my adaptation to becoming left handed. I don't even think twice about holding a utensil or cup with my left hand. I remember early on in my attack where I couldn't spoon liquid without a huge mess. I'm still not as gifted or talented as my girls who are both left handed, but it is easier and feels a little more normal.

There are things I can accept as the normal part of my life now. But there are things that I am not willing to accept yet. I will not accept that I cannot write as being normal. I will not resign myself to the fear that sometimes takes a hold of me when I think about the fact that I have an incurable disease.
I will not accept that because there is no cure for MS there is no hope. I have hope. Hope that one day there will be a cure, that my family will no longer be affected by this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment