Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pity

I had another first experience in my life last week that left me confused and speechless. And if you know me you know there are very few times where I am speechless.

An old friend, a coworker, saw me for the first time since I shared the news of my diagnosis. She was the first person who got visibly upset and cried for me. She hugged me and then after offering me encouraging words she left as she was too emotional and upset.
I was left not knowing how to handle what just happened.

I have had several days to ponder what went on. I was uncomfortable as I knew I was the reason for her sorrow, but I pray it was not pity she felt for me. I want her to know I am strong and that while I am thankful for her loving thoughts and prayers, I want her to celebrate all the good things that are still in my life. I welcome so many feelings from others in my life; love, support, compassion, concern, hope, faith. But please don't feel pity for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment