Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Quotes

These are some of my favorite quotes throughout my life:

My first really memorable book as a young child was Trumpet of the Swan.  This is a wonderful memory of my childhood.
"Tonight I heard Louis's horn. My father heard it, too. The wind was right, and I could hear the notes of taps, just as darkness fell. There is nothing in all the world I like better than the trumpet of the swan." - Trumpet of the Swan by EB White


This quote was from a plaque I received many many years ago and this quote still hangs in our home.  I love the idea of equating our family to a circle made of strength and love.  The births and unions, but also I need to hold on to the part about every crisis faced together making the circle stronger. 
"Our family is a circle of strength and love, with every birth and every union, the circle will grow, every joy shared adds more love, every crisis faced together, makes the circle stronger."

The family quote leads into my second favorite quote:  "That which doesn't break us makes us stronger" I rely on that one often. 

There was a book I read when I was a young adult titled Invincible Summer.  It was the story of a young man battling cancer.  It was the first book I read that dealt with death.  It moved me and to this day I have such a vivid recollection of this book.  I use this quote to remind me that whenever I think I am not able to have the strength within to do something that within me there is that invincible summer.
 "In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

No comments:

Post a Comment