Monday, October 22, 2012

In Sync


My husband and I are on the drive home from our 5 day get away. I don't think I could put into words just how good this was for us as a couple. 
As we are getting closer to home and the kids I realize while I am excited to see them the kid free time was a treat for us. 

There are a few key differences that we appreciated on this trip. 
We ate what we wanted when we wanted. There was no three meals a day, and late night appetizers in lounges. We strolled downtown and stopped in at a pub for happy hour.  It has been a long time since we didn't have to vacation that way and it was a welcome surprise. 

While the kids weren't far from our thoughts, it was nice to leisurely walk holding hands.  There was no worrying about where the kids had wandered off to. No whining, complaining. Time really didn't matter to us. We could have spent over an hour in a guitar store (which we did) or trying on dresses (which we also did) and we didn't feel rushed. 

Aside from last years trip to Newport Beach, CA for my CCSVI procedure we haven't ever been away just the two of us. I now get the meaning of reconnecting. So much of a couples marriage is focused on the energy needed to raise your children. That is the most important job in your life as a mother or father, but what gets lost sometimes is how much easier it is to do that job when you are in sync as a couple. 

This weekend was about that sync and reconnection. We spent the weekend enjoying the one on one time with each other. This time made me reflect on just how much I love my husband and how thankful I am. Sometimes we get so busy in our lives as parents we forget to show that appreciation or enjoy the time together. This was a good reminder and one I won't soon forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment