Monday, May 23, 2011

Prayers

"The greatest tragedy of life is not unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer."
 I don't go to church, but I have faith and I believe.  But sometimes I forget to pray.  I don't forget to get upset when things don't work out like I had planned, but often forget to pray.
Im offering up some prayers:
I pray that my 17 year old will be kept safe while he struggles in life.
I pray that Nuckter has the strength and support he needs to get through that struggle.

I now truly understand the meaning of the word empathy.  Last night after anxiously waiting 3 hours for my son to come home I had to call his Dad.  He was out of town and we arranged for Austin to stay with us for the night.  Austin had other plans.  He lied to both of us, he didnt answer his phone or texts and when his Dad did finally get a hold of him he continued the lies saying he was on his way.  Finally my ex-husband drove home.  As he sat in his driveway watching Austins girlfriend leave and 5 other friends in his house drink his liquor he phoned me.
  
I was relieved  to hear that my on was safe, but disappointed again at his blatant disregard for rules and lack of consideration or respect.  I was also filled with empathy.  I listened on the phone as my ex-husband was in tears stating he was a failure as a parent. 
Empathy is defined as: Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives 
 I identified and understood the situation as I have lived those same situations.  I identified and understood the feelings, feelings of failure, the overwhelming fear that things will not change.  I identified and understood the motives.  We both love this child of ours and want him to live a good life.  
 I will continue to have empathy, provide support and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment