Friday, May 13, 2011

Defining Me

As a Mother's Day gift I recently went to visit my Mom for the day. I brought a lunch, some flowers and a few gifts to say Happy Mother's Day. She was very pleased about the visit.
I was anxious going as it was the first time seeing her since I was diagnosed with MS.

The visit went well, she didn't get too upset or emotional, but I had a really hard time when we went out for a walk and coffee. My hometown is a small town and everyone knows everyone. During our outing it didn't matter who we ran into the conversation was the same.
"This is my daughter, she has MS". It could have been a distant relative, a former classmate, one of my Mom's neighbors.
My Mom was defining me by my disease. It was very disheartening and I realize that is not how I want to be known.
I have many ways that positively define me. I don't want MS to be the focus of who I am. That does not mean I will hide the fact I have the disease. I will always be honest to myself and to those who love me about this illness, but I will also not diminish the greatness I have in my life by leading with the "I have MS". Nor will I ever say "This is my Mom she has MS."

I wished she would have said "This is my daughter, she came down to celebrate Mother's day with me."

I have MS, MS does NOT have me.

No comments:

Post a Comment