Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In a blink

Its crazy how quickly things can change. Over the holidays I've been thinking a lot about my Dad. Wishing he was here and remembering how quickly and unexpectantly he was taken from us. I remember his smile and laughter watching the excitement in his grandchildren. They would climb on grandpas knee and he would help them open their new gifts. Even at their young age they knew grandpa was their go to guy to get things fixed.
Dad brought so many wonderful memories to our Christmases.

I miss him today more than ever. My Mom is sick and in the hospital. Through all my Moms health issues my Dad was always there. He was the calm and strong one that we could depend on. I'm embarrassed to say that our family is not close. My older brother has nothing to do with me and my family and even little interaction with our Mom.

My Mom was just here for the holidays. We had a wonderful visit. I could tell she had moments of sadness but I understood and recognized that because I felt that same sadness. Physically she was in good health. We really enjoyed the visit with grandma and the kids didn't want to see her leave.
Now just a few short days later she is in the hospital. The doctor is concerned about the swelling, her enlarged heart and the fluid around her heart. Because of the physical toll this is taking on her they are also concerned about her MS and feel she may need a round of steroids to get her back on her feet.
In a blink so much can change.

No comments:

Post a Comment