Thursday, December 8, 2011

Success

We are on our return flight home. So much has happened in the last 4 days. Good things. 
I had a very successful CCSVI procedure. 

First some information before I go further into the results. 
Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI) is basically a condition where the three major veins draining blood from your brain are restricted or blocked.  Studies have shown an extremely high percentage of people with MS have this condition.  The theory is that the restricted blood flow due to the blockages and narrowing of these veins lead to poor blood drainage and even reversal of blood flow direction that can cause inflammation amd iron buildup resulting in the brain lesions characteristic of MS.  It is thought that resuming proper blood flow will prevent further lesions from developing.   
The procedure is similar to angioplasty,  where a balloon is inflated to clear the blockages in arteries but it is performed instead on the azygos and jugular veins. 

Monday's MRV showed the narrowing and blockages in my left and right jugular veins. It also showed abnormal valves in my left jugular. This information was used to diagnose CCSVI and the information was sent to Dr.Haake where he will sent a detailed report back with his protocol of the MRV going over the iron deposits and lesions. This will be my base line and any further MRV's will be compared to that. 
I was relieved to hear that I had the narrowing and blockages. To me that meant there was something that could be fixed, something else I could do to fight this disease. 

Tuesday morning was the procedure. The nurses and doctor were excellent and even before I was given any drugs to relax I felt comfortable. I was given versed which has an effect causing amnesia so there are several parts of the procedure I do not recall. The nurse says they do this to keep you calm but still awake to follow commands. I was also given fentanyl which after looking into further is 100 times more powerful than heroin. Even with the drug I still felt pain and discomfort, specifically when they inflated the balloon in the left side. In trying to describe the sensation it was a tight almost popping feeling in my neck and ear area. It didn't last long and wasn't at all intense. The right side had the same sensation but to a lesser degree. 
They also used the catheter to look closer at the azygos vein to ensure there was no blockages and I remember feeling a heavy feeling in my chest. because of the incision into my groin they had to apply pressure for 20 minutes. This I barely remember. 

After I was moved to the recovery area and 45 minutes later Bob was able to see me.  Once I sat up I got nauseous and the nurse joked it must be true love if I get sick at the sight of him. Haha!
Before we were discharged to the hotel room we were given specific instructions on how to apply pressure to the puncture site before moving and to take my blood thinners twice a day for three months. 
The doctor stopped by and said he would see us the following day to go over the results but that it went really well. 

I spent the remainder of the day drinking a lot of fluids to flush out the dye they used and laying in the hotel bed. I had a headache for a few hours and a sore neck. Coughing, sneezing and swallowing causes discomfort on the left side of my neck. 

Yesterday we had our follow up appointment where they gave us the cd of the procedure and the written report. They explained what they found and what they did. They were pleased with the opening of the veins in the jugular veins and the closer look at the azygos vein did not show anything for concern. 
They went  over the typical symptoms that I may see gradually over the next several months. These symptoms are fatigue, cognitive fog headaches, insomnia, bowel and bladder issues cold extremities and heat and cold intolerance. 
I do suffer from several of these issues but my #1 on my wish list is the parathesia, spasticity and muscle tremors I suffer in my right hand. Unfortunately those symptoms aren't as likely to be relieved with this procedure. 

I'm a realist that has hope so while I knew it wasn't likely I would regain the feeling after my procedure I still prayed for it. It did not happen....at least not yet. 
And as sad as that is the procedure was still a success for me. They opened up the flow of veins that were restricted and blocked. I feel the procedure has helped me change the outcome of my disease. I went into this not knowing where I would be in 10-15 years with my MS but I feel I have changed my path. Maybe I won't be disability free in 10 years but I  have faith I will be better off than if I didn't have this done.
And that to me is a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment