Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Food for Thought

I was surprised to receive a phione call on Sunday afternoon from Dr. Hewitt (Synergy Health).  A mutual acquaintance gave him my number, but I wasn't convinced I would hear from him.  He called and answered all of my questions and provided me with a lot of information. 
Synergy is a facility in Cosa Mesa that specializes in CCSVI and he is also the doctor we saw speak at a seminar in Regina.

We had a busy weekend so after my conversation with Dr. Hewitt I didnt get a chance to talk to Bob about it.  Like many of the other medical decisions I've faced recently I havent been able to talk to my husband about it.  Whenever I bring up the subject with Bob he doesnt say much and gets very closed about it.  I know he is indecisive and I dont want him to make the decision on my health, but I want him to support me. I am left thinking this is an issue of money with him.   I might not be correct in my assumption, but since I get nothing from him I entertain all sorts of thoughts. I have even told him in the past that if I do go get the procedure and we want to do fundraising for the cost that I wouldnt feel comfortable organizing it like I did last time for the MS Society.  I was hoping he would have an interest and plan a fundraiser but he has been very hands off with that as well.

At the end of the weekend I came to the realization that if money wasnt an issue I would have my procedure booked but I have also realized that I need to be able to talk about this.  If it cant be with my husband it has to be with someone....anyone.  Im a talker, that's how I work through things.  So Im going to talk on my blog, talk to myself.

Dr. Hewitt told me that over 30% of his patients are like me, newly diagnosed with MS and most with the clinically isolated syndrome. He also told me that many of his patients do experience an improvement in the parathesia.  He explained that much of the information online from patients that have had the CCSVI procedure are from very vocal patients that have had a more noticeable improvement in symptoms than a newly diagnosed MS patient. 
He understood my reasoning and motive behind the treatment.  Regaining feeling in my right hand would be the best gift right now that  I could hope for, but I'm looking at the big picture, my future.  Dr. Hewitt said that by having the procedure I could potentially give me another decade disability free and who knows with the MS research that might get me to a cure.  That is HOPE.  And I need to hang on to the hope.  He also reassured me that while they prefer annual Haake MRI's (which isn't offered yet in Canada) for followup, that he said you could get a doppler in Alberta and that he feels that the MRV and other diagnostic tests will be offered in Canada in the next few years.

Dr. Hewitt provided me with information but he also reassured me that my motives were reasonable and logical.  Now just to take the next step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment