Saturday, January 5, 2013

Forever Changed


This happened to me.  I read this quote and I was able to relate to it. The losses I have experienced over the past few years; my Dad's death, the diagnosis of MS, my physical disabilities, my grandfathers death, my Moms declining health.  They have all sculpted and changed me into who I am today. 

I can understand more deeply because of my life experiences. I have empathy and compassion because of my grief. The life I have lived has made it easier for me to relate to others and understand. 

I can appreciate what I have because of what I have lost. This one is hard because it is easy to sometimes focus on the negative. On the things you have lost. I have to appreciate what I have right now because I know how quickly things can change. 

I have blamed it on old age and hormones as the reason I cry more easily and love more openly. I am beginning to understand that it is the pain from the grief that has changed me into someone who isn't afraid to hug and tell someone how much I love them. It has made me cry during one of my children's firsts or lasts moments, during movies, while typing my blog entries. 

Loving more openly and appreciating more deeply are good things that come from the pain and grief.  The hurt that I often feel is one of the bad things.  I ache for my Dad, worry for my Mom and fear for my future. 
There are times that the hurt feels as it is going to consume me, but luckily the grief and pain has also made me able to hope more desperately. 
Hope is an amazing and powerful thing. With hope all things are possible. I reread my blog from my darkest times when I was going through my first attack and while there was immense sadness and fear, there was a desperate hope. A hope that I never gave up on. I have hope that my life with MS will be different than my Moms. I have hope that I have not passed down this disease on to my children. I have hope that my Mom will find comfort in her new safe home. 

This hope makes the pain and grief tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment