Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Happy Birthday

Today is my Dad's birthday.  He would have been 62 today.  It is a hard day for me, wishing he was here to share the special day with us.  I would have loved to bake a cake for him and watch him with his grandkids on his knee as he blew out the candles. 

I will try to take comfort in the memories I am left with.  Here is one of them:
Reid has a sweet tooth and Poppa found a way to get Reid to say his first sentence.  It was before Reid was 2 years old and my parents were down for a visit and they had stopped and bought a chocolate cake to have after our family supper.  After supper I served up the pieces of chocolate cake and Reid was a boy on a mission and ate his piece in record time.  Without hesitation he held up his plate and very clearly said, "More cake please".  Tonight I will serve up a chocolate cake in memory of Poppa/Dad.

I love you Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your dad! What a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, R. Love and Hugs to you...and a Happiest of Birthdays to your wonderful father. His memory lives on well with you.

    ReplyDelete