Thursday, September 9, 2010

The black sheep

My entire life I always thought I was the black sheep of my family. 
I spoke my mind and sometimes said what I thought needed to be said but that others sometimes didn't want to hear. 
I went against my families wishes several times.  They didn't want me to end my first marriage.  I will always remember my Mom's voice over the phone when I finally had the courage to tell her that we were separated and would be getting a divorce.  Her words, "I am not going to tell your Dad but you have to fix this and take him back.  No one is ever going to want you with two little kids". 
I would sit in on my parents medical appointments and instead of just agreeing with everything I would question them and ask for further information.   I have called doctors and gotten answers that my parents weren't always forthcoming with.  I have said what others thought but would never speak.

Sadly today I realized that being the black sheep of the family isn't a bad thing. 
The black sheep is strong willed and independent.  She is outspoken and inquisitive.  She is generous and fiercely protective of her family.  The black sheep is supportive and loyal, she values her family and makes sacrifices for her family. 
This black sheep is saddened by the brother sheep that has turned his back on the family and the mother sheep who cannot appreciate the help of others or have the humbleness to admit she is wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment