Thursday, August 19, 2010

My box filled with love

McKinley asked today to see the box on the piano window shelf.  This box has been sitting on the window shelf for almost a year.  It is up high so that the kids don't touch, but still there always with me.
I carefully brought the box down and read the verse on it
"A father's love is shown through his constant guidance,
his continuous support and unconditional love for the family,
his wisdome to know what makes the difference
A father's love is special and lasts a lifetime."

This little box, I explained to McKinley was my box filled with love from Poppa.  When Poppa went to heaven he left a piece of his heart with us so so that we would always know that he loves us.
I didn't go into the whole explanation of cremation and ashes, but tried to explain it simply so that a 5 year old would understand but not be upset by the thoughts.
I had some reservations about having a piece of my Dad with us after he passed away.  It wasn't something I had ever given any thought too and I wasn't sure it was something I wanted.
It look quite awhile before I was at peace with it.
The timing of my Dad's death was the first night in our new house and I was saddened that it was just yet another one of life's moments that I wouldn't be able to share with my Dad.
I am happy to say that I am comforted by having my Dad in my home.  Our family is a circle of strength and love.  My Dad is still and will always be a part of that circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment