Sunday, May 2, 2010

Grandpa

 A few weeks ago my Grandfather celebrated his 88th birthday.  The family came together at the senior's home to celebrate with him.  While he didn't speak loudly and was a little quieter than last year he was still Grandpa.  I will never forget taking the pictures of Grandpa with his grandkids and seeing the sheer joy on his face.  He laughed out loud watching his little great grandkids run and play. 
You don't quit laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.
I felt so blessed to witness that special moment.  It is hard to believe it was just a few short weeks ago that we celebrated my Grandpa's birthday. 
Today my Grandpa went to sleep and didn't wake up.  A few posts ago I wrote about faith.  I have faith that my Grandpa is with Grandma and my Dad.  I also took some steps to ensure that I didn't have regrets about things left unsaid.  I told my Grandpa on his birthday that I loved him and I was so grateful to share in his special day.

My Grandmother (Mom's Mom) shared with me something a few months ago that is on my mind today.  She is a wonderful woman that I am grateful to as she shares her wisdom with me.  We were having our monthly lunch and talking about my Dad and how hard it was to lose him.  She shared with me that as you get older it not only gets easier to think about dying, but your thoughts on others passing away changes too.   She said when she was younger her thoughts at funerals were completely different than they are today.  She knows those who have lived a long and good life are passing on to something better, its the natural process and she has come to accept it.  She wanted me to remember that when I lose someone that I love. 
Such a wise woman.  I am so lucky to have had the wonderful grandparents that I have had. 
I will cherish and remember my Grandpa today and have faith that he is at peace and with the rest of the loved ones that I have lost.
Knowing all this won't stop the tears from falling.....

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I'm so sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. It's wonderful that you had such a memorable visit for his birthday. While these memories, won't take away the pain, I hope they can carry you through this time of sorrow! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of comfort and prayers as go through this difficult time.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete