Wednesday, May 28, 2014

End of an Era

Today is the last day of my 30's, marking an end of an era for me.  It also brings me closer to the end of my month long birthday celebration. 

One of the biggest birthday gifts this month started with the Tecfidera news on May 1. The Saskatchewan government announced the approved coverage for the drug.  I will be starting the oral drug on June 1st, but I have already received the gift. Last Tuesday was my last injection of Avonex. This morning while showering in my Vegas hotel after 5 days of yet another wonderful birthday gift from my husband I thought of many of my Wednesdays this last year and how this one was so different. I didn't have the side effects of the injection, and even after one week I was shocked at how normal it felt not to have the needle as a part of my life anymore. That needle became a new normal for me, but I will just as quickly accept this new normal.  Not only will the side effects and the hassle of a needle be a thing of the past, but the trials of Tecifdera show better results than the current disease modifying drugs. How can't that be one of the best birthday presents?

There has been many blessings over the past 28 days where I have felt spoiled and commented that this birthday is all month long. Just two days ago while having lunch with my husband in Vegas I received a phone call from the Regina Qu'Appelle health district regarding my moms application to move to a Regina home. They advised me that the normal wait was approximately one year, but that she is now the third female on the wait list and that I should contact her physician and set up a referral to a surgeon in Regina to handle her wound vac therapy. I was giddy at the thought of my mom being so close. Gone will be the three hours of travel time for a short visit with her. Again another wonderful birthday gift this month. 

Our first night in Vegas also marked the one year anniversary of the end of an era for Bob as well. One year ago was his last day at MNP. The firm where he spent the first 15 years of his career. It also marked the beginning of a new era.....his hard work has resulted in a very successful first year with his personal practice. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous last year when he made that change, but the end result has been very positive for both him and our family. 

Bob and I had a very special supper last night at Gordon Ramsey Steak and I commented that while 40 is an older number, when I look back and compare my life now to my life 10 years ago when I entered the 30's I am happy with where I am. 
At 30 I didn't have a complete family yet, nor was I as healthy as I am now. It's true, I didn't have MS or at least didn't know yet that I had it, but in comparison to my 30's I have more wisdom and appreciation.  I am blessed with wonderful family and friends and a I can only pray that 10 years from now as I am looking back on the end of another era I can appreciate my health and happiness with my family and friends. 

Tomorrow is my actual birthday but Friday I will enjoy celebrating the milestone with my close friends and family, complete with a live performance by Easily Corrupted. Another wonderful present for my birthday month. (Plus I get to go home with the lead guitarist) :)




No comments:

Post a Comment