Friday, May 2, 2014

Winning The Lottery

It has been a very long time since my last post.  In the past my posts have always started after a break because of an increase in stress but it's the opposite today. 
Today is the day after the Saskatchewan government announced the approval for the new oral drug Tecfidera.  
I was sitting at my desk yesterday morning when a coworker came into my office and gave me the news. I remember seeing her face but after the first sentence everything went loud in my head. I cannot believe the day is finally here. 
I called my neurologist and the biogen nurse to confirm and get the ball rolling to switch from my injections to a twice a day pill. 
And it couldn't have been better timing as recently I have had some struggles with my meds. 
After Easter we came home to a fridge that froze me medication and $2000.00 worth of medication had to be thrown out and replaced.  And two weeks before that I had an injection site reaction that caused concern it may be cellulitis. 

Yesterday marked the end of that game where you imagine what you would do if you won the lottery. 
I won my lottery.  
All the times I have dreamed of not planning my life around my needles and their reactions. All the times I sat there working up the courage to push the button to inject my meds. All the times I felt like quitting or giving up hope. All the times I struggled with the side effects. 

Before I was given that great news, I sent a message to a group of my best friends telling them while we have all been busy living our lives lately and can't be in touch like we used to be I still feel incredibly blessed to have them in my life and still have those close connections with them.  I feel like my blessings are overflowing.....but I'm going to enjoy and appreciate each one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment