Tuesday, May 13, 2014

To Whom It May Concern

This is a letter I have drawn up after months of frustration regarding the current health care policy in the Sunrise Health District where my mom currently resides. 
I am fortunate that my mom doesn't have knowledge of these expenses or the time and effort I have put into this fight. 
I want to right this wrong, not only for mom, but for everyone that had had to make the choice  regarding life saving treatments that are not universally covered in our province where  we proudly say we provide 'Free Health Care'.
I am fortunate to be able to be the voice for my mom and fight but it saddens me to think of others who don't have that voice. 


The purpose of this letter is to voice my frustration and demand a change with the Sunrise Health District’s current policy regarding the Wound Vac Therapy expenses that have been incurred by my mother, Marcella Temple who is a resident at St. Paul’s Nursing Home.  My mother, diagnosed with MS over 18 years ago is now bed ridden and dealing with bed sores. Her physician proposed the Wound Vac Therapy several months ago when the family was called as her health was deteriorating and as the decision maker I made the choice to start what would turn out to be a life changing treatment for my mother. Unfortunately while the treatment continues to show positive results and the wound is healing, the charges for this treatment continue to incur on her account. 

  

  As the Power of Attorney for my mother, I have contacted several departments within the government to inquire and get this resolved.  I have contacted SaskHealth, Supplementary Health Benefits, Exception Drug Status, Social Services, SAID program, SAIL program, Paraprogram, Regina Qu’Appelle Health District, Sunrise Health District, and even the Kinsmen Telemiracle Foundation.

  The responses have all been the same.  The Wound Vac Therapy consumable expenses are not covered under the Sunrise Health District.  The Kinsmen Telemiracle has even stated that this is not something they would provide funding for as it is a consumable health care product that, while not covered by the Sunrise Health district, is covered in other health districts in the province, therefore it does not qualify. 

  I discovered that if my mother lived in a Regina care home this would be fully covered.  Even more surprising is the fact that if my mother lived on her own within the Sunrise Health District and had home care come into her home, it would be fully covered, or if she was in an acute care bed within the same district, it would also be fully covered.  

  I have enclosed copies of my records, including the nursing home invoice and a letter from her physician indicating the additional expenses for the Wound Vac Therapy as well as the physician’s explanation of the treatment and how beneficial it has been for my mother.
With her disability and very limited fixed income, this is not an expense she can afford,but her physician, the nursing staff and I believe without this treatment, she would not be here today.   I hope this letter will prompt further and immediate investigation into the current policy within the Sunrise Health District.


  Through my discussions with numerous people within the health care profession, no one has been able to explain to me why this life saving treatment provided to my mother, who has an annual income of $15,000 and a net worth of approximately zero, is not covered.  Everyone I have talked to on this matter has been surprised these costs are not covered, while at the same time, they have been unable to help resolve the situation.

  I believe my mother’s current situation justifies an immediate reinvestigation into the current policy.  I am simply requesting that the government provide equal care within the province regardless of the health district that you live in.  I am asking not only as a daughter, but also as an MS patient myself.  It is my sincerest desire that when I need treatment I can have the peace of mind that Saskatchewan will show the compassion to provide fair and equal treatment.



No comments:

Post a Comment