Monday, January 16, 2012

Anniversary

I am very conscious of the approaching date.....January 27th. That day last year was the morning I woke up with a numb thumb. It was the beginning of my MS journey. I am having a hard time with the approaching date because I didn't think any of my symptoms or signs from my attack would last a year.

In less than 2 weeks it will be an anniversary of sorts. I have been struggling to find the positives for the upcoming anniversary. Whenever I put thought into the approaching milestone my thoughts are always drawn to what my life was like before I knew I had MS. I have to say before I knew I had MS because I had it but I didn't know it. And that's what I miss the most. The naive innocence that I am healthy. The unknowing and carefree life I used to live has been taken away for almost a year. I will always be left with the brutal and honest knowledge that I have an incurable disease.

I have thought of one positive. In the past 12 months I was never bed ridden, always able to walk, never lost my sight for any amount of time. My MS has not gotten worse and because of my successful CCSVI procedure it hopefully won't.

As the date draws nearer I will find more positives. On the 27th i will raise my glass and toast to a happy anniversary and hopefully many more MS anniversaries where I can appreciate and acknowledge all the positives.

No comments:

Post a Comment