Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tolerance levels

Three nights ago I experienced the most painful and intense side effects from my injections. It was so bad I considered a trip to the emergency room in the wee hours of the morning. I like to think I have a high pain tolerance, but this had me in tears.
It was all the regular side effects; jaw and ear ache, headache, muscle cramps and aches, nausea, chills, shakes but easily 10 times worse than any bad night I ever had. Plus I had horrible pain in my hands. It's hard to describe but my hands felt so cold and numb that they were burning hot. The entire day after I still felt terrible and the movement and feeling in my right hand had noticeably decreased since prior to the injection.

I lived through the horrible ordeal, but had anxiety about doing another injection. I called the nurse hoping she could tell me what I did wrong and ensure it didn't happen again. Unfortunately she told me that is the makeup of the inferon based medication and it can randomly cause intense side effects.

I did my injection last night and the side effects are still there but not like the other night. It's funny because this morning I woke up relieved that it was just the regular flu like side effects. Mt tolerance level and acceptance has changed. I'm now more accepting of the side effects I've dealt with for 4 months. Just as I have accepted some of the changes in my life because of the numbness in my right side.
I hate that this disease is changing what I accept as a good day and what I am willing tolerate. I don't want to make anymore compromises.

No comments:

Post a Comment