Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What would my Dad want me to do?

I have decided to take July 9th as a vacation day from work.  Luckily I have a wonderful boss who was there to support me at my Dad's funeral last year and who also lost her Dad a year previous.  She is fully supportive of me taking the day off. 
I have tried to figure out exactly what I want to do to get through this first anniversary date.  What would be the ideal thing for me to do to get past this?  All that is screaming in my head is "I JUST DON'T WANT THIS DAMN ANNIVERSARY" 

I am trying to reach deep down past all the anger and sadness to find the part of my heart that used to think "what would my Dad want me to do?"  I think he would want me to surround myself with love.
I am going to have a wonderful day with my family.   It will undoubtedly be filled with good times and hard times, but I think it is better if I have that expectation.

My oldest son who recently shared with me his decision to make his temporary move to his Dad's into a permanent one is going to spend the weekend with us.  That fills my heart with such happiness.  Somehow now that I am removed from the intense emotion of that unhealthy parenting situation I am able to enjoy a wonderful relationship with my son.  Austin has turned into a son that I am so proud of.  I am not going to say he is perfect, remember he is 16, but he is doing a great job of growing up into a wonderful young man.

I had many moments over the past year where I felt ashamed of how I parented him or my lack of parenting him.  Again it was another one of those "what would my Dad want me to do?" moments. 
Sometimes when I have those moments it isn't even some big life changing decision.  It could be something as simple as a check engine light on my van that comes on, or how I should hang the curtain tiebacks.  

Hopefully he will be watching down on my family this weekend with pride because I have done some of the things 'my Dad would want me to do'

1 comment:

  1. Your father is watching every single day- with tremendous love, pride, and warmth. He is who you are- and I promise you that you are a wonderful person, mother, wife, and friend largely because of your dad. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete