Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Promises

I promise to always love you...
I promise to always have fun with you!
I promise to admit when I am wrong!
I promise to respect you!
I promise to trust you!
I promise to give you freed and space!
I promise to worry about you!
I promise to forgive you!
I promise to help you find your dreams and let you live them!
And finally I promise to be here for you.....always!

These are my promises to my 16 year old son.  Some of these promises are really easy to do.
Always loving you....that is as easy and natural as every breath I take. 

Recently I have really been able to enjoy the time spent together and really have fun.
Admitting when I am wrong is not an easy one.  And I know I have passed on that stubborn hardheaded quality to my son.
As Austin grows and matures into a wonderful young man it is easy to respect and admire who he is becoming.
Trust is another one that is not easy, but he is really trying and working hard at repairing the damage we have in our relationship.  I see the effort he is putting in and know I have to work on the trusting.
I'm a Mom....worry and guilt are a given when you become a mother.  When I hear about a car accident my first instinct is to call or text my son to make sure he is ok.
Forgiveness is something that I am able to give, maybe not as quickly as he would like but because of my unconditional love for my son the forgiveness comes.
Helping him find his dreams and letting him them them...now seems like it would be an easy promise....but it's not.  In doing that I am helping him grow up and move on.  That is a tough one.  I want him to grow up, but not yet.

I will always and forever be here for Austin.  If it means just listening to the troubles of his day or a funny story from work.  It even means the little hugs and shoulder squeezes that without saying a word mean 'I love you'.  The little notes left on his pillow when he comes to visit that tell him how terribly proud I am of my son.
I hope as he grows up he knows how much I love him and want to keep those promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment