Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Disability

The definition of disability is:

1.
lack of adequate power, strength, or physical or mental ability;  incapacity.
2.
a physical or mental handicap, especially one that prevents a person from living a full, normal life or from holding a gainful job.
3.
anything that disables or puts one at a disadvantage


As a parent of a son diagnosed with ADD I have always taken issue with the word disability. His ADD does not fit the definition of disability and more importantly there are benefits and a positive side to ADD.
Since my return to work a few short weeks ago I've become hung up on the 'disability' word again. I can no longer pretend I don't have a disability and as deep as I dig I cannot find the positive in my disability. Sure I can tell you about the wonderful friend I have found because of my disability. I can even tell you about how healthy I have become and how hard I'm working to stay that way, but when it comes down to it I would give up so much not to have this disability.
The key words I see in the definition of disability is incapacity and disadvantage. I am incapable of writing. Something I used to take for granted but also something I used to be really good at. I am disadvantaged when I am trying to stir a pot, put a ponytail in, type on a keyboard, use nail clippers. I could write a very long list of things I am incapable of or have a disadvantage at.

I have recognized since returning to work that these disabilities have become more apparent and I'm struggling not to let that get me down. I know things could be so much worse and even a few months ago I was so much worse, but I just want to be capable again.

No comments:

Post a Comment