Sunday, December 5, 2010

Welcome home

We landed back into Canada late Saturday night.  I was tired after the delays but still able to enjoy the excitement of coming home.  The holiday was great but I was so looking forward to spending Sunday with the family putting up the Christmas tree and celebrating Austin's 17th birthday.
I phoned to wish him a Happy Birthday in the evening and he was enjoying his birthday with some friends over so I didn't talk for long.  I had made arrangements with him and Nuckter earlier and checked in several times over our vacation to make sure that it was still going to happen.
I am happy to hear that Austin came for a supper visit with the little kids while we were in vacation, but I cannot tell you how much it has ached my heart today that he didn't show up.
I have tried to keep busy (luckily there is a crap load of stuff to do after you return from a week of holidays), but still so very sad.
The tree went up, all the ornaments were hung (even though we left his ornaments until later in the day just in case)....the birthday gift sits here, the special card I was so wanting to share with him remains sealed.
No phone call, no text, nothing.
This is a sobering reminder that while Austin is still my son and a part of our family, he is no longer in the same capacity that he was even a year ago.
I would like to think it is just him growing up, but I know it's growing apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment