Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Merry Memory

Last night we had our 'Temple' Christmas gathering.  This is now the 2nd Christmas without my Dad, but our first Christmas without our Poppa Temple.  I went through a little apprehension after my Dad passed away and wondered how we would fit into the picture last Christmas with Dad gone.  I was quickly reassured that despite the fact that my Dad is no longer here, we still very much fit into the family. 
We lost our Poppa Temple this spring and with that we lost the common link that held all the extended families together.  We no longer would get together to celebrate his birthday.  I wondered what would become of this 'Temple' family.
Even without losing family members, as the years go by the families grow and our lives get busy.  I wondered if we would find a day that worked for our Christmas gathering. 
Despite the snow and rain storm we had yesterday we were all able to get together under one roof and celebrate our Christmas.  It was so nice to be together with a family that I grew up with as a small child to now a woman with children of my own.

Grandma, Poppa and Dad were not here physically but I know they were watching and were proud of the fact that our family made the effort to get together. 
The part that made is the most special was the little kids.  To see the cousins play so well together, their excitement at the Christmas season, giving and receiving those special little gifts.  It brought back memories of my own Christmas memories in my Grandparents house opening presents with my cousins, seeing all my Aunt's and Uncle's. 

It was a sad moment thinking about the family that is no longer with us to share these special times, but also such happiness and joy sharing new memories with an old family. 

My mind was brought back to a wonderful Disney character with a great quote:

Lilo (from Lilo & Stitch): "Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind.... or forgotten."

I am comforted in my Merry Memory that our family while it was changed is still a family and nobody got left behind or forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment