Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Slipped my mind

Last Thursday, March 7th was the 2 year anniversary of when I was told I had MS.  I remember clearly sitting in my doctors office and hearing those words.  Feeling like I couldn't catch my breath and that my whole world was crashing in. 
Last year on my first anniversary I was clearly aware of the date.  The days leading up to it the signifigance weighed heavily on my mind.  I remember thinking I had somehow failed with repairing and healing the damage to my body after the one year mark. 

This year, my 2nd anniversary was so different.  I no longer thought of  the date as such an important number.  Thursday came and went without giving it any extra thought.  It was a regular day with work, family and life. 
I think the biggest thing that I realized was that I am learning to live and accept how MS is a part of my life.  It isn't because I am no longer dealing with the symptoms of my disease, but more because I am accepting that my life has changed and will forever be changed. 
The issues I have with my bladder, the parathesia, the fatigue.....they are all things I am adjusting my life to without focusing on the anniversary milestones.  I am paying far more attention to what my body tells me and less attention to the dates on the calendar.

Am I well balanced and completely accepting of my MS.  No, I am far from it.  But Ido think this year I am in a better place than I was last year so it is a good anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment